Tuesday, January 8, 2013

This week...‏

May 16, 2011

Was pretty sweet I suppose!
Well, this computer is pretty dumb, so I'll have to go to a different internet place to send pictures after this email, but anyway...
Let's see, this past week we had a lot of lessons fall through, but got a lot of new promising people, and we have at least 3 almost sure baptisms for the next 2 or 3 weeks. So we shall see how that goes, but I'm guessing that at least one of those will be baptized this Saturday.
Let's see, what else... Oh, we got to hear from Elder Oaks on Saturday night. Yeah, that's right, the apostle. Haha he just happened to be coming to our area for some conference thingy in our stake combined with another stake. Oh, and the last time that happened with an apostle was apparently like 25 years ago. The thing is, the only way we missionaries could get in was if we brought an investigator. And the investigator had to be 17 or older and single (although that last rule I think wasn't so strict, because everyone wanted to see Elder Oaks) and so we were searching all day in between lessons and other things for anyone that could come and it came down to where we only had like 30 minutes to find someone and we hadn't, and we had one last chance.
So we took the bus (because she lives waaaay on the other side of our area) and we got there with like 15 minutes to spare, she was gone. At work. Just as we were about to leave, she got back, we explained things, she said she'd go, and we left. We barely got there on time, but we did (because the taxi driver was going like 100 mph. heh heh heh).
But yeah, before Elder Oaks were some other speakers, and all of it was in Spanish, and I got a bunch out of it! When it comes to the gospel side of Spanish, I can understand pretty much 80% of what they're saying, and figure out the rest from context, just like when you don't know a word or two in English. Which, let's be honest, doesn't ever really happen to me. Haha no, just kidding, but it does help to have a pretty good grammar, spelling, and general know-how of English in the background.
I have already started noticing a lot of the grammar errors and things that the other gringos here trip up with. Por ejemplo, 'Yo se que la iglesia es verdadero', but since it's 'la iglesia', it's supposed to be 'verdaderA', con 'a'. And a lot of other things, but then I also notice a lot of the dumb things that I say, and I know there is a lot that I say wrong without being aware of it too. Haha but it's all good, I'm getting a pretty good handle on the spanish, bit by bit.
Que mas...
Oh, add my teachers to the forward list, from the MTC.
alexander.aldrich(at sign, don't know how to do it on this keyboard)gmail.com. I think that's his address...
And sjonesiegolfman(at sign)gmail.com tambien.
Que mas, que mas...
Oh, so sleeping here. Well, there's a light right outside our bedroom window that our neighbors turn on every night for burglars (even though psychology shows that burglars LIKE the light, because they can then see what they're doing, whatever... haha) and it is really bright. I have a bit of a hard time sleeping. Oh, and they also have like 5 dogs, the little yapping kind. That sometimes like to start yapping right when I've almost fallen asleep after getting over the bright light situation.
One night they would not stop barking, and I was sooo grumpy. But eventually I fell asleep. My companion said though that at like 3 am I sat up and said, ''SHUT UP, YOU STUPID DOGS!'' and then went back to sleep. He was confused, because the dogs weren't barking at 3 am, and I didn't remember it in the morning, so I guess I was having sweet dreams. =)
I'm pretty much obsessed with street tacos here. There are little taco stands everywhere here, and the tacos are soooo good. With tomato and onion (couldn't think of the english there for a sec. heh) and this really good sauce. And (however you spell this...) celantro? I know SOME people don't like it, but it's good, and you know who you are, crazy people.
Also, we had pancakes this morning from this member, with something called Lechera, I think. It's like this sweet milky creamy stuff. Kind of like buttermilk syrup, and really good.

And... No se, que mas, que mas...
Oh, mom I got your letter two days back. And... Yeah, I'd rather get emails from those of you family members, and dearelders from anyone who isn't in the family. Yes, that means YOU, Will. And Jordan (Braginton)! And Ronja, and just all of you.
Oh, by the way Will, I had a dream the other night that you were telling me aaall about Pokemon Black and White, in some restaurant or something. But for some reason in the dream, I knew I couldn't play it, so I was jealous. Haha
What else...
Well, I can't think of anything, but I'll send some pictures and descriptions in a seperate email once I get a computer that works for it!
Love you all very much, Mexico is pretty awesome, and very ghetto. =)
Elder DeFreese










Okay everyone, here are some pictures. The theme this week is apparently animals.
1. An overview of my area from up on this road that overlooks it.
2. Hamburguesas being made at a member's home. Sooo good.
3. Same home, with an Iguana. =)
4. Some of those street tacos that I was talking about earlier. That plate there cost about 20 pesos, which is kind of expensive for tacos here, too. Oh, and in dollars that's like $1.25 or less.
5. Our living room.
6. Kitchen.
7. My bed, made, as always*.
8. Morning in Mexico.
9. A 28 day old bunny, pet of a member.
10. My tan line from my watch. Haha
11. Temple outside of the stakecenter where we heard from Elder Oaks
Aaaand I have lots more, but that'll be all for this week and this email. I take tons of pictures, so you'll be happy when I send home my SD card, I'm sure.
Hopefully you all are doing well, and enjoy the emails, sorry if I bore you! I wish I could take you all here to experience what I do, because pictures can't do any of it justice. The people are awesome, the sites are awesome, the animals are interesting, the food is amazing, the gospel is true, and the greatest thing I could imagine to be doing right now couldn't be better than this.

Elder DeFreese

*mas o menos =)
p.s. The last three pictures I have to send in ANOTHER email, so sorry. Haha

No comments:

Post a Comment