Monday, January 7, 2013

Earlier than I thought

March 11, 2011
Okay, so I'm sending the email earlier rather than later, just because we have extra time right now anyway. Still, feel free to send me dearelders today before noon and I can write you snail mail that'll probably get there within a day.

Well, let's jump in, with absolutely no order to my thoughts^^

Okay! Sean, as far as the package goes, firstly... Thanks! I like packages, they're fun. Makes you feel loved^^ And then as far as what to put in them... Well, you're the expert, what did you like to get on your mission? I honestly don't know. I'm not very picky. A few things other Elders got that sounded good were Circus Animals (those frosted cookie things), fruit snacks, kit kats, and... Well yeah. All is well. =) Gracias, ahead of time.

Mom and dad, thanks for updating me on Rachel and the baby. Glad things are working out there. I'm sad to hear about Martin Conover, it's crazy how quickly everything back home seems to change within just a few weeks of being gone. Jobs, babies, people passing away, etc. It's a little shocking sometimes.

BREANNE! It was good to hear from you and Andrew. I want to write you guys a letter but I don't know what exactly to say. Did you ask questions in your dearelder? Suddenly I don't remember and I forgot to look it over before writing this email. I will send a letter later today if there were any questions, but if not you should ask me some or give me something to talk about. Although I do have some questions for you. In any case, you should probably get a letter soon.

Also mom, that Zubs sandwich sounds super good. I'm starting to miss food from the outside. The food here is either pretty good or horrible. You can never go wrong with the burgers, but with other stuff you just kind of have to wait and see. If the menu uses the word "casserole", "surprise", or "and some other stuff"*, feel free to NOT eat it. Trust me. Jordan and Braden, pay attention here^^

The veggies are super rubbery, which makes me sad because I want to eat healthy but the only healthy stuff tastes like it's been sitting out for days or something. Just no bueno.

The showers, may I go into more depth?

They're horrible. Haha it's okay, but on our floor, they're seriously bad. We're on the top floor, so I don't know what that has to do with it, but apparently the other floor's showers are fine, according to people in our zone who cheat and use those instead. Basically the water is either boiling hot or freezing cold, no matter where you put the dial thingy. You can turn it back and forth all you want, it'll just kind of burn you or freeze you as it so desires. So I've gotten into the routine of getting wet and jumping out before it burns or freezes me, then soap, then... JUMP IN QUICK AND RINSE! Altogether, it takes ten or twelve minutes, with really only about 2 minutes actually in the water, tops. But that's the way it's got to be. It's good though, maybe it'll prepare me for Mexico. Who knows what it's going to be like there, as far as showering and all that goes.

I've lost about 6 pounds since being in here, by the way, but haven't lost any recently. Which I think has a lot to do with the fact that most of the food here seems to have very little nutritional value. So I'm going to try and maybe lay off the condiments, less burgers, more wraps, etc. Just generally try to eat a little healthier. I'll update you and we'll see how that goes.

Oh, before I forget, add lostscrolls@gmail.com to the forward list, 'tis my pal from work, Jordan. He sent me an email, so I figure he should get mine if he wants. Also, if Will is reading this, you should send me your address and a little update email or something so that I can send you a letter. Also, if you could get a hold of Mike so that he can email/dearelder me his address and/or email address too, if he wants.

Okay, onto other things.

Devotionals here are awesome. Every week somebody spreads word that "it's definitely the prophet this time" but it never is. We actually haven't gotten any apostles or anything yet, which disappoints me every time we walk in and see that it's another quorum of the 70. And then they start talking. Seriously, these guys know their stuff. I wish I could go more in depth about what was said at the last one, or the one before that as well, but let me just say that these men were called to teach us by the spirit, and they definitely do that well. It will/would be great to get to hear from an apostle eventually, but so far I have gotten a lot out of every devotional.

Oh! We got a new district last week, I think I mentioned. They're doing well, just as an update. It still feels good to not be the newest people here. More people in our zone left a few days back, so we should probably be getting another new district next week. It'll be good. This one is pretty fun, and they all seem like hard workers, which is nice. One of them has the same sarcastic humor as me. Kind of throws me off, because I'd gotten complacent about confusing everyone here with my humor (which, of course, is the point of it anyway), but he gets it and jokes back! Interesting...^^

Speaking of which, we've had some hilarious times with our district. I always joke with one of my roommates, Elder Fullmer, because he's just so normal. He laughs really hard at most of the joking, but he always follows it with "you're so weird!" It's just hilarious. The look on his face after I say things is priceless, because for a moment, he tries to figure out if I'm serious or not. Ohhhh good times.

Yesterday, we were looking through pictures and found some that we had taken with our teacher, Hermano Jones. He isn't photogenic at all. Remember that picture of me with my teeth bared and I looked miserable? I was about 10, wearing a striped shirt? Find it on the computer and send it in a letter or something. It's pretty much his exact face^^ The four of us roommates laughed harder than we have in a long time looking at those pictures yesterday. Hermano Jones just lookes miserable! It's great, you'd have to be there^^

Spanish is coming along, the TE fell through though, due to a confusion of times. But we're going to teach again next week. And we're picking up another appointment with someone else too. Actually, a couple days ago, our class taught the other class (in companionships, split up) the second lesson, and we assumed we were supposed to do it in Spanish. So we did. Everyone was pretty impressed, because apparently we were expected to do it in English. For like another 2 weeks. Our teacher when he interviews my companion and I has lots of praise and says we're doing really well as a team and with learning the language.

Well, I'm sure there's more I wanted to say, and more you want to hear about, so dearelder me before noon today! I'll write letters. 25 seconds left. Ouch. How do I always go right to the wire?^^

*Yes, it's true

No comments:

Post a Comment