Monday, January 14, 2013

The Weekly Semana‏

December 31, 2012
Queridos padres, hermanos, hermanas, payasos (Braden), changos, amigos, etc.,

How've you all been?
How'd your Christmas go?

Hope that everything went well for you all. For me it was pretty... Normal. Haha we didn't really do much except that on Christmas day we went as a zone to hike a big old mound (I'd call it a mountain, but I'm from Utah, thanks) to get to this giant statue of Christ that I'd been seeing from afar for almost a year now and I'd never seen up close. It was a fun experience. 
After that, we all got back to our areas and back to work, and my companion and I managed to find a couple new people that day, so it was good. =)
Then, from there, the days just went by really fast. Elder Palma and I have been really busy with a lot of investigators right now, nothing to complain about. Every day we were able to find two or three new people, so it went well. 
On Wednesday we did special splits with a couple companionships in the zone. I went with Elder Vazquez and Elder Rodriguez in Pinal, and my companion went with Elder Valtierra and Elder Bran in Ahuateno. 
It was kinda tough and they didn't have very many set appointments, but I helped them stay excited and keep going until the end. We ended up in the last hour in the house of an inactive member, where we were able to get a few referrals and invite them all to go to church, it was a good experience. I was able to give them lots of tips and I hope they felt my love and worry for them as we sacrificed a day in our area to be with them. 
Then, on Sunday we were able to bring a new person to church, who's name is Álvaro. His story is pretty interesting, let me tell it to you all! =D
So, last Sunday night we were going to go with our ward mission leader, Luís, to visit a few of his friends, and he was going to meet us where the combis (I explained that to some of you... They're like mini-van taxi-ish thingies) are at. 
So, we got there a little late and thought that Luís had gone ahead of us to where we were going to visit his friends, so we got in the combi that takes us there. Once we were in, a man that we hadn't met before told us that our friend (Luís) had been waiting for us but that he had gone to call us from a pay phone. In that moment, the combi started to get going, so it was too late to get off, and when he called us we just told him to get in the next one and we'd see him there. 
Anyway though, that same man started talking to us about how he had a nice conversation with Luís about religion and things like that, and right then and there we started to teach him, set up an appointment, and then we were ready to go!
So yeah, then we went to teach him in this week and as we were teaching him the Gospel of Jesus Christ, he accepted everything very well. We committed him to go to church and to be baptized on the 6th of January. After the lesson, to verify, we asked him, ''So, what are you going to do this Sunday?'' And he said, ''I'm going to be baptized!'' And we had to tell him that, although that'd be great, the goal was set for the 6th so that he could go to church a couple times first, to which he replied, ''Oh, sorry, I just got excited!'' Haha so he's really good, we'll see if he's got any big doubts.
As for Sunday, we had three people who were going to be baptized, and all three fell through for very good reasons, but the important part is the lasting conversion, so we're not at all upset with the fact that they'll have to wait a week or two (or more) more before taking the step of baptism.
Aaaand, yeah! This week we have a lot of plans already, we're super excited and happy and ready to go! We'll be doing some more splits on Wednesday I think with some other Elders and then on Friday we've got Zone Leader counsel, so we'll be going to Xalapa and won't get back until a little bit late, but it's all good. 
So, that's about it! I hope you all are having a great holiday season! Merry Christmas to all and a happy New Year! I love y'all.
Elder DeFreese



1. Up by the statue of Christ with Elder Palma.
2. The view from up there! Everything you can see has been or is currently my area. =D

No comments:

Post a Comment