Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Weekly Semana‏

June 4, 2012

So, I really don't know how to start emails I'm realizing, let's just get started.

Well this week has been quite interesting but enjoyable. Firstly, as I mentioned last week, Elder Eastmond was leaving our poor, sad little district to go to Los Tuxtlas which is like 9 hours south of here, waaay on the other end of the mission. Well he left on Wednesday morning at 2 am, if I remember right. Point is, he came to our house to stay the night with his companion, Elder Carmona, and then we left together very early to get him there and go back to sleep again. Well, needless to say we didn't sleep much that night. Especially because we had to share two fans between the four of us, and it's getting to up to 90 or so degrees in our house (it serves like an oven, really) even at night. 
The other day we were at 46 degrees celsius, as a side note. That's about the equivalent of... (checking my phone converter thingy..) 114 degrees fahrenheit. So yeah, NO COMPLAINING, DREW! You can't talk about being in the heat, my friend! Well, maybe you can, I've never been to Germany, now have I? But apparently you're frying in Freiburg. Haha, get it?
Sorry y'all, had to give my pal a shout out, I do believe he receives these email forwards, if I remember right.
Anyway, point is (don't you all love how scatter-brained I am?) that we didn't sleep good the night Elder Eastmond left. We got up at 6:30 am, as usual, and got going. Wednesday we worked in our area, and then on Thursday we worked in Elder Carmona's area. It was definitely interesting being in a trio, seeing as how I'd never done it, but it was a good learning experience. On Wednesday night we didn't sleep very good again for the heat, but it turned out fine, because on Thursday night Elder Carmona's companion got here! We thought we'd be in a trio until the end of the transfer, but well, they sent his comp. already. His name is Elder Realivazquez. Yeah, I have no idea where the name is from, it's kinda weird, but there you have it. He's from Oaxaca, which is a little southwest of our mission, if I understand correctly, and ready to work. It is interesting now though that I'm the only American in the district, but it'll be fun.
Well, after all of that jazz on Friday we realized that we REALLY had to start getting things more prepared for Kevin's baptism on Saturday. We had been distracted with the weird changes and being in the trio and all that we had forgotten to empty the baptismal font, clean it, and fill it up again! So on Friday we did a bit of that, and also checked on Kevin again, since the last time we'd seen him was on Wednesday.
So his mom (grandma, but she raised and is raising him, so he calls her mom. The woman of the empenadas) Gloria let us in and we sat down and caught up for a minute or two and then said that we had to review a few things because Saturday before the baptism our leaders needed to come do an interview with him. That's when he said, ''oh, but I'm not getting baptized.'' We were a little shocked, but that's when Gloria told us that the day before some brothers and sisters from the church she went to before came to visit and tell her that she can't let Kevin get baptized because she has to do it there. She told us how they basically were fighting with her and shoving scriptures in their faces telling them not to do it, and so she'd told them she wouldn't. She then told us that she appreciated our time and that we'd definitely at least ''sowed a good seed'' in Kevin. 
Well, let me just say I'm thankful for two very key things that this mission has done to prepare me for moments like this. One, the experience that I've been able to have studying scriptures every day and answering to questions, doubts, and conflicts in the mission with said scriptures every day of the my life in Mexico. And secondly, the Holy Ghost that is there to remind us of what we learn. 
Well, using what she had said of the ''seed'' we'd planted in Kevin. We pulled out Alma 32 and talked about the seed of faith that needs to be nourished to grow to, eventually, eternal life. Then we pulled out the parable in the bible about the seeds that get dried, or eaten up by birds, or that don't take root because they don't have good soil. We talked about how Kevin has learned so much in these past weeks and that she's seen that, and so if she wants to continue seeing that change, he needs to move forward. We then talked about how baptism is the door by which we enter into the path (2 Nefi 31), and that without starting into the path, there is no progression. Well, that got to her pretty well and she mentioned how those brothers and sisters of her other church had not bothered to visit her for years or offered any help with Kevin in the past, but that suddenly they show up when he'll be baptized in another church, and decided that that wasn't right, and that she would let him be baptized.
So we all felt a little relieved and left them with a prayer, and headed off to continue preparing for the baptism. 
I must say that I am so thankful for this mission. It's just crazy how after all these experiences, I can literally feel the confidence to find answers to every problem or question in the scriptures. And it's also been really cool to see the change of my responses from the beginning of the mission like, ''well, I don't know exactly, but I'm willing to search it and we'll get back to you tomorrow'' to be, ''well, that's a great question, and we can find the answer from God himself here in Matthew 7, would you please read...etc''. Honestly this mission has taught me a ton, and I'm so excited to keep learning. I really learn new things every day, and I always get pumped to use and share them throughout the day. 
I'm so excited for Jordan, as he's preparing to go on a mission, and I'm really proud and happy for him. He's going to do a great job and see a difference in himself as well. You never know what the mission is like until you go, and you never ever want to forget it once you know, because the mission is really the foundation of our testimonies, as men. I really believe that every young man needs experiences like these to be able to see that seed of faith grow into a tree that gives us fruits of everlasting happiness. Every young man (or woman) that reads this should truly consider their responsibility and the joy that it would give them to serve a mission, and start preparing yourselves. Don't put it off, like most of us did, get going on it now, and you'll be so glad you did.
Anyway, that's my bit for the week. Just so you know, the baptism went great with Kevin on Saturday, and yesterday he was confirmed. We're happy and working hard, and I thank you all for your prayers, messages, and the blessings I'm receiving out here.
Love you all so much!

Elder DeFreese

p.s. If you're planning on writing me a letter or sending a package or something, please wait until I let you know what the new mission address will be, seeing as how the offices are now being changed for me to be in Xalapa.


1. The baptism of Kevin! =D


No comments:

Post a Comment