Monday, January 14, 2013

The Weekly Semana‏

August 13, 2012
Alright,
So this week was a pretty nuts one. We had a loooot of stuff that got a little in the way of working in our area, but we didn't get frustrated, we just did our best with the time we had. 
First, on Tuesday we had a leadership training thingy in Mtz. (remember those trips I talked about?), which was really cool and really crazy. I'll see if I can help you all understand what happened a little bit. Well, as you all know, in the mission we do things like knock doors and find people and contact people in the street, right? Yeah, now that's all changing in Mexico bit by bit, but our President is jumping ahead of things to get us prepared. Thanks to some dangers that are rising and some situations that have happened with missionaries in other missions, the leadership here in Mexico is starting to prepare the missions here to have ZERO contacts in the street and ZERO door knocking and ZERO lessons without a member present for safety, unless it is a lesson in the chapel.
So, even though they've only gone to that extreme with a few missions so far, our President wants us to be ready when they change up the rules on us, so our ''formula'' has changed. Every mission has something that's called ''numbers of excellence'' or something like that, I don't remember. But anyway, in our mission, before, it was the general goal to report weekly 175 contacts, 15 lessons with member, 15 other lessons, 7 referrals received, 7 referrals contacted, etc. But now all those numbers have changed. Now, it's: 70 contacts, 20 lessons with member, 10 other lessons, 20 referrals received, 20 referrals contacted, etc. So we'll be working a LOT more with members and a lot less in the street. President said something about being in members houses so much that the same pair of shoes we start the mission with will look like new at the end. So yeah, it's a pretty big change for an Elder who's been working about the same way almost 16 months in mexico. Oh, that's me. =P
Buuut I'm really really excited, because they talked a lot about the importance of members, and how much success we could have through these changes, and well we're all pretty pumped. It'll just be hard to get used to not getting home completely exhausted from walking all day. Haha 
But anyway, then from there, on Wednesday we changed houses finally, and then in the afternoon I felt super sick, so we tried to work the best we could, but it was pretty ineffective. Then, on Thursday I went to the doctor not feeling much better and on the orders of Sister Lopez (wife of President Lopez), they gave me lots of medicine, and then it rained really hard all day and we tried to work by bits, it was really interesting because in this little town place called San Juan, the streets turn into rivers really fast, and seeing as how I already had a cold and some infection as well, we weren't able to do much there. Then, on Friday there were some interesting problems in the district that I will restrict from mentioning, but the Zone Leaders had to come and we had to do some good snooping and checking and talking and such, which made us late to the food appointment, and then we had a baptismal interview from there, and then the day was pretty much winding down already. Then, on Saturday we had a baptism service to prepare and hold succesfully. =D
But yeah, so it was a pretty full week of not working exactly as we would've liked to, but this week we're looking forward to lots of sick and rain free days. Hopefully. It's kept raining and today we woke up and I was in the shower when the electricity went out. In the whole town! So we'll also be seeing how we'll wash clothes today and all that, seeing as how usually a family helps us with their washer, but without electricity that won't work so well. =P Right now we're actually in Teziutlán, because we can't get internet out there! 
Anyway though, this week we're pretty excited. We finished our last week well with the baptism and confirmation of Didier (Diddy-air for pronunciation more or less) and we'll be seeing a few more things with his family, seeing as how his aunt and 3 cousins came that aren't members but are very interested. 
The baptism, speaking of which, was really spiritual. Mom told me in her email that I shouldn't think about how my time is starting to come to a close here in the mission, seeing as how I'm about to start in on my last 6 months, which go by so so fast. Well, in the baptism I couldn't help but think about that. As I was listening to the talks and enjoying my time there and thinking about how happy Didier and his family seemed to be, I thought about how much I will miss those moments. Well, as Didier and my companion changed into their normal clothes, I took the time to explain some things of the gospel to Didier's non-member family, and as I began to bear testimony of how much it would bless there loves and how much it'd blessed mine, how much I'd come to love and know God through the gospel, well I choked up. A lot. Haha for those that know me, they know that I'm a bit of a cry baby, and this time was no exception. I felt the spirit really strong and just testified of the love of God that He has for each and every one of us, and just how much He  wants each of us to be happy, which is why He put His gospel on the earth, to guide us to everlasting happiness. Well, ending the testimony, Didier's mom, cousins, aunt, and dad (5 out of 6 of those being non-members) were all in tears as well, and there was a really strong feeling of the spirit in the room.
Then, Didier and my companion arrived in their dry clothes and Didier bore his testimony as well, which was really special, and afterward we talked to the family and asked them how they felt in the baptism and explained a bit about the Holy Ghost, and well we have some more work to do here now. =D
It was a pretty special way to end the week, and I'm pretty happy with the way things are going here in San Juan Xiutetelco (and Altotonga, although it's far and we don't go often. =P)
As for stuff back home, HAPPY BIRTHDAY THIS WEEK BRADEN! Aaaand HOLY COW, JORDAN IS GOING TO GET HIS CALL THIS WEEK! Let me know next week exactly WHEN he'll be comin' on down to Mexico. Or at least somewhere spanish speaking, I don't want to be the black sheep of the family! 
Alright though, that's all for now, love you all. Shout-out as well to Grandma Odekirk. Get well soon! I'll be sending prayers towards Utah (bueno, hacia Dios, de hecho, porque Utah no contesta oraciones. =P) for ya!
Love,
Elder DeFreese

Fotos!
 
1. Didier and his family at the baptism!

No comments:

Post a Comment