Monday, January 7, 2013

P-Day again! Already?!

March 25, 2011
Okay, time is starting to really fly here. We've been here for over 5 weeks! That's nuts! Anyway, on to email goodness and such.

 

Thanks for the package, mom! I didn't expect it so soon in the week. Holy cow. Samoans are GOOD. The girl scout cookies. The people are pretty cool too I guess^^ But yeah, thank you so much! I wasn't expecting so many cookies, but I've been sharing lots and enjoying lots so it's great. Thanks a ton.

 

To grandma O., we don't do baptisms in the temple because then there wouldn't be enough for youth of surrounding wards to do, but we can do everything else. It's great! Also, 2,700 baptisms in one day you say? That's a lot of people coming unto Christ and stuff^^

 

Okay, now to jump to a completely different topic. I scared Fullmer again a couple nights ago. Haha! Oh wait, did I tell everyone about that or just mom? Well, Elder Fullmer and I (roommate, also going to Veracruz) are having a little scare competition thing. Nothing big, and of course not very often, because we don't have time to have sillyness very much, but anyway...

A couple nights ago I got up around 2 am to get a drink of water, but on my way to the door, I got a great scare idea. So I pulled a chair up to Fullmer's bed (he's on the top bunk), I went and got a towel and draped it on my head so that I looked weird, but my face was still showing. Then, I got on the chair next to his bed, and I tugged on his blankets a little bit. He turned around (and I'm seriously trying not to laugh out loud right now in this quiet computer lab^^) and just looked at me for a second blankly. I thought I'd failed, but after a second or two more, he screamed and it sounded like a cartoon character falling off a cliff or something. Like, "Boohhoooyoahoayhoooooa!" or whatever. As he screamed, he pulled his covers around him and shoved himself against the wall far away from me. Then, he looked at me again, and he screamed again in the same way because he STILL didn't understand what was going on! And then I was pretty much on the floor laughing my head off. Which woke up our companions until everyone was either softly laughing or sleeping again if they weren't so amused. All of us laughed about it in the morning though. He said that I looked like a demon or something and that it was really freaky because I looked like I was like 9 feet tall with the chair under me. Hilarious.

Anyway, other stuff!

Mom, my ears are doing fine. =)

I can't believe someone else died with me gone, it seems crazy. I hope everyone is fine. I think I remember who Bud Schardine was.

Oh and now, I must tell you of something spiritual/just plain awesome because you're probably thinking we're a bunch of prankstering nincompoops (spelling?) over here^^

So last week after writing you and finishing laundry, we do this thing called TRC where we go to this building and talk to people in Spanish like a street contact or something, ask them if we can come back, and then go prepare for a few minutes and come back to a room and teach that person or people as if it's the next day or few days/whenever you "scheduled" to come back.

Well anyway, last week we were teaching the second lesson (Plan of Salvation) and we were told to prepare for surprises. We were also supposed to teach in English, but we were told that we should strive to teach in Spanglish if possible. Anyway, we started teaching the guy in Spanish, and then... Well, we just kept going! He had questions about the Word of Wisdom as it turned out, and we were able to teach him a lot about it, get him to commit to stop drinking and smoking which were his problems, and commit him to continue to read and pray, AND be baptized. Which he agreed to. All in Spanish. We were totally guided by the spirit, because sometimes I would just open my mouth and a completely fluent sounding spanish phrase that I had NOT memorized would come out. Did I know all the words in it previously? Maybe. But the conjugations, the grammar, and the sheer speed at which I did it were shocking to me. So anyway, it was amazingly great. We get to do that again tonight, so I can't wait to let you know how this one goes.

Let me just say that there is NO way I could talk for a half hour in complete Spanish after only learning it for a month without the Spirit. It's really strong here, and I'm loving it.

Another thing I have here on my list of things to mention is Jason and Laura's address. Can I have it? I'd like to write a letter there sometime, it'd be fun. Oh, and while it's on my mind, Jordan (Braginton), I somehow lost your address, so can you send it through dearelder again or something? Thanks!

Alright, now I got through everything I really wanted to make sure I did, and I have 7 minutes left. Woohoo! So, let's see...

Well, I guess I want to say thanks again to all of you sending letters and dearelders and packages and things. It really lifts the spirits here, because it's easy to get stressed out and homesick at times. All of that stuff helps.

OH! And of course I just remembered the other super crazy awesome thing I had to mention.

So, a couple days back at dinner, my companion got called to the travel office through the intercom. So we went, not knowing what to expect, and they said that he, I, and our roommates, were all to come back the next day (yesterday/thurs.) at 12:45 to take a trip to the Mexican Consulate. I asked him if that was good news, and he said, "that's jump up and down for joy good news". So we flipped out. I mean, tons of people have had to wait weeks or even up to a month in the MTC over what they're supposed to because of problems with the Mexican Visas. But, now we have ours! With 4 weeks to spare! I don't want to go into the technical stuff, but we don't really technically have our visas yet. That was the HUGE step up to it though, and now, even though we don't really have them... We have them. Like 100% sure we do, and much much much earlier than expected too. So yeah, we're all happy.

It was fun to ride in the bus through Orem where I've spent lots of my days hanging out with friends before the mish. Also to drive to SLC and have all the memories flood back of family rides in the car, friends, and other things. It also hit me being out of the MTC after a month of being enclosed that the world is soooo pretty. Mountains and valleys and cities (the site from the point of the mountain!), it's just amazing! There is absolutely a God, and He absolutely loves all of us so much. You can just tell that by looking out at all we have. It's insanely awesome.

Well anyway, less than a minute left. I love you all, thanks again for all you do and all of your examples and help.

I know the church is true with all my heart. I am so happy to be where I am.

Until next week!

Elder DeFreese

No comments:

Post a Comment