Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Weekly Semana‏

July 30, 2012
Alright, this week from San Juan Xiutetelco, here's the news!
 
First, I had to say goodbye to my comp. Elder Vazquez, he's all grown up now! Ohhh no. Anyway, so I said goodbye to him on Tuesday at like 5 am and my new comp. and I were off. I am now with Elder Colmenares, who's actually from Veracruz (but the southern part), so he's pretty close to home. He's got 5 months in the mission and was just barely with Elder Billings (my MTC comp.), and now we're in San Juan, which I don't know if I mentioned, but it is the area where Elder Billings and Elder Johnson (also from our MTC generation) were together as CO-Senior companions. Well, I took Elder Johnson's place as District Leader of Teziutlán, and got to know a few people around here that were a little familiar, seeing as how we'd seen each other from being in the same stake about 6 months ago.
First impression of San Juan... I think I might gain weight here. NO! It's cold (love it), the bishop owns a really delicious taco place and charges us half price (and gets mad when we DON'T buy tacos from him every once in a while), there is sweet bread all over the place that is SO good and really cheap, there are giant quesadillas for about 75 cents comparing aaaand the members are all very loving with the missionaries, especially when it comes to the hour of the food. So yeah, I'm going to be watching things a bit, but hopefully I can keep a steady loss of weight up. About 4 months ago I bought a new and smaller belt that I put on with the first hole, and now I'm on to the last hole, so we'll see if I need to buy another smaller belt soon, but I'mma wait and see what the food does to me here first. =P
What else...
Ah, so in my district it's me, Elder Colmenares, Elder Garcia (21 months in the mission and my former Zone Leader, from Sonora), Elder De la Rosa (1 month counting the MTC and trainee of Elder Garcia, from Puebla), Hermana Hernandez (7 months in the mission and from Tijuana), and Hermana Fabregas (7 months in the mission as well and from Honduras).
We had district class on Wednesday, after which I was told by the Zone Leaders to show Elder Garcia and his new comp. around my old area in Pinal, as they arrived new just like my companion and I. So, I showed them around as my comp. went with a young man on splits to work in our area in San Juan.
That day we ate with my old bishop from Pinal and it was really cool to visit again and talk about experiences and such. I had really missed that ward, it was awesome! Then I showed them where a few old investigators lived to visit them and see if it was about time they accepted the gospel, and showed them how to get to key places and members, etc.
THEN I went about another 30 minutes away to an area called Teteles, where they have also closed the area and so we have been working there as well. We cover a LOT of ground. But anyway, I went there with a young man from the branch there and he showed me around and we taught a few people, and there are 3 or 4 to be baptized this Saturday. We think that Pinal is going to take charge of that area though, because they're closer.
In our area we've got pure miracles with 3 people to baptize this Saturday and 1 for the next with another couple that we found last night for the 18th. So we're pretty happy with things so far here. Seeing a lot of happy people, ready to accept the gospel, is just like fresh water to someone who's been in the desert a few days. Not to say that Poza Rica was a desert, but we sure worked hard and got rejected a lot. It's something to do with diligence though. Read Daniel, chapter 3. It's a story about the bad king (not gonna try to spell his name here) that tries to kill Shadrac Neeshack and Abednego (no idea on the spelling there either because it's different in spanish) for not worshipping his gods and his golden statue. Well, he threatens to kill them and I love their reponse:
(paraphrasing) ''Our god will deliver us... And if not, you should know, oh king, that we will NOT serve your Gods or bow before your golden statue.''
I love that answer. It's like in my past area, I was always saying to myself, ''I'm working hard and being obedient, people will accept me and be baptized, just like it's happening with the other missionaries in the zone, AND IF NOT, I'll just keep working and being obedient!'', and when the moment came where we just kept getting rejected over and over, I kept thinking of that chapter of Daniel, and now I'm seeing that, just like the story there, God DID give the blessings that come with obedience, and here they are!
I'm super excited to be here. 
Well well well, I don't have much time left now, and I know I haven't said everything that happened this week, because there's a lot, but it's been pretty cool. We also had a stake activity here in our church building which we dropped by to in order to meet the bishop of our other ward we haven't been able to visit, and there I saw a ton of people from my old ward in Pinal. It's really pretty interesting, and they all say the same, ''Just couldn't get enough of the cold, right?''. Haha, it's true. I'm loving it right now, I don't think I've even sweat(ed?) once since I got here, and I sleep without a fan or anything, nice and warm under my blanket. Wooh!
A'ight, so is there anything else? 
Oh, a shout out to Drew Daybell. Is that Brennan Shchulzke in those pictures? He looks nothing like himself! Maybe it's a brother of his or something. Explanation in the next email, please. Haha
Love you all a ton, any more questions and just shoot me an email or a letter or somethin'. You all should have the new address of the Xalapa mission. 
Looove,
Elder DeFreese 
 



 
1. My family from Poza Rica. We found them and were able to witness the reactivation of the mom, the baptism of the daughter after teaching her less than 2 weeks, and the very catholic dad that now goes to church regularly with a white shirt and tie we gave him. I choked up saying goodbye to them, to be honest. I told them thanks for being my family in the mission and for being so kind and loving to us. They said the same and everyone was crying. Oh gee. =P
2. Our house in San Juan. Yep, that's all of it. And it is DIRTY. We're changing houses next Monday. =D
3. Zoom in on them socks, what's that you see? POKEBALL SOCKS!? Yeah, Elder De la Rosa gave them to me when I complimented his that I saw on divisions. He has a few pairs still. What a nice Elder!
4. This is my area. And that's not all of it, either. We also have other parts that are about 40 minutes away on the bus and another ward that we haven't been able to visit yet. Oh boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment