Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Weekly Semana‏

May 8, 2012
Man, it still feels weird using Adam's subject line, but he gave me the rights to it officially, así que, lo voy a utilizar.

Anyway, so this week has been pretty interesting and fun and scary and crazy etc.
Firstly, I have my new companion, I will attach a picture of him, his name is Elder Vazquez, and he is from Morelia Michoacan (which is like 15 or 16 hours west of here driving), and he is prepared and ready to get to work here! I've had to learn a lot of things over again and a few new things as I've kind of changed around my teaching style, the way I act with my companion, the way I look at certain things, etc. Because I really want to be a great trainer, but I think everything is working out alright. My companion is pretty excited because this coming Sunday he'll be baptizing for his first time!
There's this young kid named Orlando that has been investigating and going to church since December, before I got here, and the only problem we've had is getting permission. We'd tried everything and only gotten a bunch of ''maybe'' and ''someday'' type answers, until this past Saturday! We just went ahead with the interview (usually we wait until we have permission for the person to be baptized before interviewing them), and then had all four of us, the two Zone Leaders, myself, and my companion, testifying and pulling out scriptures and explaining why he was ready and why he needs to be baptized. Well, she finally gave permission, we got the paper signed, and he'll be baptized this Sunday (until Sunday so his dad and mom can both be there). 
So yeah! Quite the miracle to get myself and Elder Vazquez excited. 
I don't have too much else to say, but I would like to share a little thought for those who are currently on missions who get this email, or as well those who have gone on missions or whatever. Well, I was studying this morning to put together a little more the District Class for tomorrow, and just decided to change everything because I felt to go a different direction with things. The thing is, I don't know if I mentioned it, but my little 4 person district now is me, my new companion, and 2 Elders that are ''co-senior companions'' that both have 3 transfers in the field, or 4 and a half months in their missions. Well, this is kind of a young district, so I was pondering on time and the mission, and all the experiences I've had, and how much I wish that I had more time and how fast it all goes and...
Well, as I was pondering it, I studied the doctrine of Christ, which is awesomely displayed in 2 Nephi 31. I focused in on the final verse that says that (forgive me if I don't know it by memory in English =P), ''there is no other way...nor name given beneath heaven by which man may be saved'' and it talks about how this doctrine is the ONLY doctrine that can save souls. I hear a lot in the mission from people that the religion doesn't matter, because they all go to the same end, but in Matthew 7, Jesus mentions that there is only one way, and ''few are those who find it''. So if only a few find the right way, wouldn't it be wrong to assume that every religion is just fine and that we all get to the same end? 
And so, if we really realize that there only is ONE way, and that we know that it's through the gospel of Jesus Christ, which we know and testify truly to have (and not pridefully, but humbly and thankfully), then how diligently should we be trying to help everyone to know this gospel in this VERY short time we have?
Well, I got really emotional when I was thinking about and studying all of this and putting it together, and I know that I haven't been a perfect missionary, and that I have a long way to go with VERY short time, but I feel a little refreshed, a little more urgency, and a little more motivation to help others come to this gospel, and in doing so, come unto Christ. I hope that all my missionary friends and acquaintances that get this email will please take your time seriously and work with all that you have, all of it passes so fast. Just ask anyone that's gone before us. Also, any that are home now or leaving on missions later, please do everything you have now to either prepare to go and be ready to work, or to continue to work for those who are home. There's still lots to do. Remember how we always struggle to get referrals in the mission? Let's be that loyal member that gives a few weekly, that goes to the appointments to testify, that keeps being a missionary in every way possible, even if it is without the white shirt, tie, and tag.
Well, that's my bit. I gotta go now, but I love you all and I'll be talking to a lot of you very soon. This Thursday, I think!
Woo hoo!

Elder DeFreese




1. Elder Vazquez and I.
2. Elder Lyons and I for the last time really! I saw him as he was finishing strong. Ah! Craziness.
3. Me, looking soooo gang. (haha good inside jokes)

No comments:

Post a Comment