Tuesday, January 8, 2013

This weeeek...‏

May 9, 2011

Well let's see, I talked to the fam just yesterday, but I did forget to mention some things. And I will be repeating myself some during this email for those who didn't get the wonderful opportunity to talk to me on the phone yesterday. Okay then, here we go...
Just to start off by making you laugh, our district leader, Elder Camacho, is who I shall first speak of. Haha so he's a Mexican Elder, and speaks a small amount of english, about as much as I speak spanish, and I've started writing down quotes of things that he says in English, because it's pretty hilarious sometimes. The other day I made fun of him for something, and he turned to me and said ,''you have crap... (and here he pointed to his head) ... in your mind.'' And it was just really funny. You probably won't think so as much, but his accent and his pauses and stumbling over the english made me laugh. Like my stumbling over the Spanish probably makes them laugh sometimes.
Speaking of which, you all asked yesterday if I'd said anything particularly dumb or funny in Spanish yet, and I couldn't think of anything, but later that night we were at a member's house talking and somebody asked my companion something about my grandpa, and so I turned to him and said, ''mi arbolito?'' instead of 'abuelito' which means little grandpa pretty much. Well, what I said meant little tree. So everyone laughed. Heh.. Anyway, moving on!
Let's talk about water. Here, they like to squish up fruits and put it in the water with lots of sugar. Entonces, pineapple water is agua de piña, and mango water is agua de mango, etc. It's really good, but sometimes it's weird and not so great. Haha but esta bien, usually it's a lot better than plain water. Even if plain water might be what I want to quench my thirst at the moment.
Okay, let's see.... Oh, there's this investigator girl (the sister of a member) that we're teaching that I mentioned in my phone call yesterday. She's really touchy and feely and bleh. Like, she'll ask about my hair as she's like stroking it. I say stroking because I'm a missionary, and so my sensitivity to these things is very high, to a normal person, it would seem like just a normal little touch or whatever, but I was trying to keep myself from batting her hand away. Haha but anyway, that's one interesting thing. Since I am a missionary, I hate talking to the female types. And they love talking to us. I just don't need that distraction right now, you know?
But yeah, that same girl was saying this very mexican thing to say that I've gotten a lot which is, ''I like your eyes, can I have them?'' to which I say no, of course. Because they're mine. But then she went on to ask if my eye color changes depending on what I wear. Like, she said that because I was wearing a blue tie, they were blue. But I siad they were blue all the time. And she said kindly enough that, no, if I were wearing green they'd be green. So I guess she knows more about my eyes than I do, but I'm pretty sure they're generally blue. Anyway though, people are fascinated here by any color other than brown or black. Pretty funny stuff.
What more... HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!
Ha! You thought I forgot, did you mom? Well, I kinda did, and my companion reminded me after I ended the call yesterday. Heh... Sorry, but you really are the greatest momma ever, and I love you a lot. Miss your cooking, our talks, your example, and the way you and dad are always ready to give advice and such. Thank you so much for being a fantastic mom.
Aaand for all you people that are reading this that aren't my mom, yeah, I'm a momma's boy, get over it. Haha
Oh, also thanks Grandma O. for sending a dearelder, very fun to read that and I'm glad that things are going well with you.
What more, what more...
I guess I'll insert pictures now!
 







 
1. Comp. studying in a pile of garbage. Haha
2. I remember someone saying once that my thinking face is funny, but I don't see anything wrong with it. Haha
3. Empenadas being made. Ooooooh man, so good.
4. Dog sleeping in an old broken down chair. I've seen dogs sleeping in a lot of weird places, but this one is pretty great.
5. Peacock in someone's yard. Yeah, I guess that's normal?
6. Really good food, bread-ish tortilla things with spicy sauce and cheese.
7. Sean was asking about the frito lay products here, and I couldn't think of anything, but just today I saw these. I don't even know what they are really, but something to do with salsa combined with something else. Kinda funny.
And well, I don't know what else I've got, but I'll be sure to take even more pictures between now and next monday. Love you all, have a fantastic week!
Con amor,
Elder DeFreese
p.s. Mom and family, I doubt that I already have a slight accent! Haha just because I pause to think of how to say something in English every once in a while does not mean I'm forgetting my English or something. Haha but thanks, makes me feel like I'm getting the Spanish alright if I already sound a tiny bit different.

No comments:

Post a Comment