Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Este semana‏

May 2, 2011
Well well, looks like another week has passed here in Mexico, as well as in Utah it seems. And Germany, and wherever else people may be that are reading this.
Crazy how time goes no matter what we do about it. That's what I always tell myself when times are tough, that time passes just like any other day, and then the next day it seems like it all happened so fast and it's all done with.
Aaaanyway, stuff like that aside...
Oh, I need to answer a question real quick while it's on the mind, I don't get emails from Jeff or Jared or Drew, and I guess they're probably all just trying to focus as well, so they probably don't mind. Someone was wondering whether we stay in contact. Sadly, no, but I hope they're doing well and I guess we'll see in a couple years!
Humdedum... Had another baptism this last Saturday, the brother of my first baptism. He used to have drug problems, but we worked with him and he's a super good kid. I'm really glad we can bring the gospel to everyone, and help them prepare for such an awesome thing as it is.
I'll attach more pictures with this email and be sure to add one of him.
Let us see, what else, what else... Well, you know those videos dad took of the driving in India, and how nuts everyone is? Pretty much the same deal here. Like, they have lanes and stuff, but that doesn't really mean anything. And people are in the roads all over, there are annoying speed bumps EVERYWHERE, and I'm just glad we're in a walking mission. Although sometimes we take taxis. That was a culture shock from the mission office to our house in a taxi. The driver was nuts, or so I thought at first, but that's just how people drive here. Seems like you're going to hit another car or person every 10 seconds. But it's all good, no worries for me, fam, okay? I totally have like, the Lord, and all that jazz on my side. That doesn't mean I'm doing anything stupid thinking I'm invincible, either. I'm being smart, no worries. =P
Anyway, what to mention, what to mention...
Well, we can apparently have guitars here, so I went nuts on one of the member's guitars when they brought it out. Sooo much fun, I missed it. But I don't think I'll buy one, I need to save money and I know I'd probably get too distracted with it. This one kid keeps trying to get me to teach him stuff on the guitar, apparently people here don't really know how to play, so they think I'm pro or something. =)
Okay, copy and paste time to answer momma's questions.

1.  Do you miss your MTC companion? - I guess so, I don't really think about it. I miss my old district, they were cool. But I'll see the other three in Veracruz sometimes throughout the mission and we'll all be on the same flight back to Utah as well.

2.  Do you and your trainer get along good? - Yeah, we do. We have different personalities so it's interesting. But he's a good guy, and we have fun and some pretty good success.

3.  Was your first baptism awesome?  Was it scary?  Did you feel something special?  Details, boy...details!! Smile - Oooohhhh mom... I dunno, it was good? Haha I didn't really know the kid much, as much as you can get to know someone in four days through a language that you don't really understand. Haha but I wasn't nervous, and it felt good. Spiritual times.

4.  Why don't you eat breakfast?  You've GOT to eat breakfast Don.  It's not good to go that long without nourishment. - Heh... Okay. Yeah, we got cereal recently, so I eat brekky just about every day. It's all good. =)

5.  How does the money work?  Do you get an allotment every week, every other week, or once a month?  (Be careful and spend wisely.  I don't want you using your debit card except in extreme, occasional need.  I do worry about you though and hope you have enough for what you need; like BREAKFAST FOOD.) - Wow, maybe I shouldn't be forwarding these questions to everyone, I'm totally being momma handled! Haha but yeah, we get 1300 pesos per month, you can do the math (but it's roughly like 125 dollars or something probably) and that's fine. The drinks here are cheap, like 50 cents. I like the money here too, it's cool. And I am careful with my money, for sure.

6.  Do you eat lunch AND dinner with members? - Here there is no such thing as lunch and dinner. There's breakfast sometimes, (but every day for us missionaries, oh boy oh boy, GOTTA have my breakfast =D) then La Comida a las 2 en la tarde, or 2 pm. Which is a big meal like dinner. Then nothing unless a member gives you food later that night or you snack when you get back to the apartment at 9 or 10-ish.

7.  Do you have a fridge to keep stuff cold? Si, tenemos.

8.  How are the prices there, like for your special apple drinks? Oh, I answered that somewhere else. Yeah, things are cheaper here. Not as much as most people think in America, like for example, a box of cereal costs like 400 pesos, depending on the brand. So yeah, some stuff is as expensive, some moreso, but generally it's all at least a bit cheaper. Especially if you know where to go. Of course, I don't. =)

9.  Is your bed OK and are your sheets working out OK?  Do you have a pillow? - The bed is good, the sheets are perfect, I have a super lumpy pillow, but I am tired enough that it doesn't matter. I sleep well, no worries there.

10.  Are you in a small branch or a ward?  How was church? We have two wards, and they're kind of small, but we're at church from 8 am to 4 pm. Because we have the 8 am ward (yeah, they start at 8. Just adds to the difficulty of getting investigators to church.) and the 1 pm ward. So we study (if people aren't bothering us) in a room in between wards.  Church was good. I said I had a talk, right? Yeah. Went well, esta bien.

Aaaand, that's all the questions for now! I'll be calling or you'll be calling me, I'm not sure how this works yet... Next Tuesday though, that's the day. You can invite Jason and Sean and Breanne or whoever you find appropriate, but I only have an hour to talk, so make sure there aren't a million people there I guess.

And now pictures! Or... In a minute. I hate these computers. Haha I'll figure it out. I'll send 'em seperate. Love y'all!
Elder DeFreese



 



 Okay, so the pics!
1. Giving a piggy back ride to this kid home from the church, which is like a ten minute walk, and he weighs more than it looks like. Oh, and it's like 90 degrees even at night. Haha
2. Explaining something or other in my bad spanish to Mexican kids.
3. One of the kids stole my camera and kept taking pictures, so I'm smiling in a threatening way. Heh.
4. These tacos were awesome, chicken, avocado, tomato, onion, just really good.
5. This is the salsa we put on the tacos with that stuff above in it. It's kinda like this salsa sister Roundy would make for our sunday school class sometimes.
6. This is a giant spider. It was big. Bigger than it looks in this picture probably. I was drinking water around 1 am and something crawled up onto the ceiling from behind the fridge. I thought it was a lizard or something, so I turned on the light and was flipping out, because it was a big spider. So I got my camera to take some pictures of course, and proceeded to try and kill it. I failed, it dropped down and hid under our garbage, and I haven't seen it since. I'm a little more careful around the fridge though. Haha
7. This is the kid we baptized this last week, 14 years old and really fun. He helps me with my spanish, too. We're being gangster here. Haha
8. Aaahhh, guitar.
 
Okay, that's all. Gotta go preach the gospel!
Love you all a ton, I pray for you and so does my companion, because he's a good guy like that. See ya in a couple months or so. Haha
 
p.s. Did I mention already I'll be calling next Tuesday? Can't remember if I had. But yeah, I'll let you know more details next p-day. Bye!
 
Elder DeFreese

No comments:

Post a Comment