Monday, January 7, 2013

Ah, the MTC

March 4, 2011
Okay so firstly...

I have received all of your dearelders I do believe, so far. I got a couple forwarded emails from grandma, a dearelder from Braden, Sean, Mom, and Dad. And I should probably be getting any others that were sent later today. So it's all good. Keeping using dearelder. I prefer those to emails, because I can read them right when I get them and ponder about how to answer. Yes, now that I am in the MTC, I no longer think. I ponder^^

Anyway, the truck is gone! Noooo! That's too bad, but I'm glad that you got a good amount out of it. Not that I know anything about trucks and how much you sell them for, but it sounds like you got a good deal...?

Okay, new idea. Because I honestly don't know how many questions I'm leaving unanswered in my emails/letters. I think you should all when you dearelder me (or email me, if you do that instead for whatever reason) have a question section. That way, rather than trying to find and make sure I know all the questions to answer, I can just refer to the "Ask Elder DeFreese" section of each thang. Or whatever^^ It doesn't have to be a question. You can also just ask me to explain something, share a scripture/experience, whatever you want, really.

Life here in the MTC is good. Honestly, my companion and I are like PB and J. Even if jelly sometimes beat boxes way too much or gets distracted too easily. We all know peanut butter has similar issues that can get on the other condiments nerves. Haha no but really, all lame metaphors/simile thingies aside, my companion is awesome. We both are getting along a lot better than some of the other companionships in our district, and even better than some that have been here longer. It's good. That's not to say that things don't or won't get hard sometimes, because I know that I need to continue to be patient with certain things, but I'm just glad that I got so lucky with my current companion.

Anyway, the Spanish is... Coming. The first few days, it's like WHAM! I KNOW SPANISH! Aaaand then you hit the wall. It's like no matter how much is crammed into my brain, I can't figure out how to use half of it. No matter how hard or often the cramming. Oh well though, the gospel side is going swimmingly. My companion and I taught TE for the first time this last Monday, and it went awesome. It was our first time, and we taught with great team work, asking questions along the way to assess his understanding, and the spirit was there. Okay, let me explain what TE is, actually.

It's this thing where you can sign up for a "progressing investigator", which is a teacher that takes on the role of a character they either made up or someone they dealt with on their mission. You go and teach them like a real investigator each week, and then you set up an appointment to continue later. Well, we taught the first lesson anyway, and he said afterward (after he was out of character) that we did really well. He was surprised at how well we worked together and how smoothly the lesson went. They don't go easy on you, they are like real investigators. Weird questions, difficult life problems and all. But anyway, so he said that, unlike the others in our district, we should go straight to Spanish, since our gospel side is already pretty solid. Sooo yaaaaaycrap. Haha it's a compliment, but now we have to teach an entire lesson en Español next Monday. Which is coming up quick. So.... Scary.

But it´s alright, I think we´ll do okay. And unlike last time´s half hour, we just signed up for 15 minutes this time. So if it´s a train wreck, at least it´ll be a short one.

Okay, I just want to thank you for the package real quick! It came yesterday (the day you sent it!) and I already got all the treats eaten. I shared with the new district that just got here Wednesday first, and then slowly with the rest of the zone. Don´t worry though, I ate 2 or 3, so I got a good share of the love. Those things were delicious, and my fellow Elders enjoyed them very much. I think the newbies needed a little pick-me-up, so it was perfect. Thanks again!

Also, the jacket was just in time. I´m wearing it now over my too-tight (for now) gray t-shirt, so I can wash my other p-day and workout clothes! Speaking of workout, I´ll have to let you know tomorrow when I weigh myself again because I´m only weighing myself once a week, but I have lost at least like 4 pounds or so since getting here. I work myself really hard on the elliptical here in the MTC gym. Not too hard, I think, but hard enough to be a healthy thang^^ It also helps that our building is the farthest from everywhere, so we walk a lot. And that we're on the top floor of our building, so lots of stairs.

Anyway, what else, what else...

My district is super fun. I'm loving my roommates. We're always joking around and having a good time, but in a quiet way for the most part. Not like the rest of our zone, doing piggy back races and wrestling in the halls. But esta bien.

We've got one guy in our zone who's like 6'5 and he's ripped. He was a fireman for a bit before the mission, and he's super intimidating. As I've come to find out though, he's the nicest guy ever. Never talks bad about anyone, very humble, super awesome. And he loves hugs.

The more I get to know these people, the more I like them. We all have our faults. Being a missionary does NOT make you perfect. But we try our best, and when we don't, we forgive ourselves, move on and do better.

It helps to know that I've got so much support at home. Whenever the language discourages me or the constant noise and mess that is life in the MTC gets me down, I always remember that my family didn't send me away so I could take a nap or avoid my studies or joke around with the other Elders. And I didn't leave for that reason either. I left because I know the church is true, and I know that this is where I'm supposed to be.

Let's have me bear my testimony in Spanish now! Yay!

Yo se que José Smith fue una profeta. Yo se que Dios y JesuCristo vive, y que Dios nos ama. Yo testifico que El Libro de Mormon es verdadero, y que la iglesia es verdadera. En el nombre de JesuCristo, amen. And now, I would pray in spanish to show off my crummy skills, but I have 2 minutes left^^

I love you all, and I'm sorry if I didn't get around to saying everything I meant to or asking the questions I meant to. If you want to, send me a dear elder and I can write some snail mail soon.

I haven't really gotten homesick yet, at least not nearly to the point that I expected, but when I do I'll let you guys know so you can send me stuff^^ Thanks for the support! Love you all.

Elder DeFreese

 

p.s. I miss Brandon, Sean! He sounds so fun right now. Jealous!

No comments:

Post a Comment