Wednesday, January 9, 2013

I espeak english now.‏

January 16, 2012

Well, let's see how well I speak English now after two (or three?...) weeks with a Mexican companion and pure spanishness.

So this week has been pretty good, we've gotten a lot of new people that we've started to visit and all that jazz, and of course we've got someone very special that I shall now talk about a bit that is named Valeria, but she likes to be called Vale. (Vah-lay, or something like that para que me entiendan, necios Americanos... Oh, perdón, son familiares! Love at home, right? =P)
Anyway, she's really awesome. She's a reference from a wardmember, and we've been visiting her this last week. Now she's been to church twice, she's living with an inactive member and they aren't married, but she likes everything about the church a lot. Her boyfriend was given the book ''Teachings of the Prophet George Albert Smith'' in church a couple weeks back, and she told us that she read it all in one night. Actually, the first time we taught her the Restoration, we would mention things about Joseph Smith or something and she basically told us the whole story, because she'd read it in that book. Well, then we gave her a Book of Mormon, and last we checked she's in Moroni 8. So yeah, you could say she's a really good investigator.
She has a little notebook when she reads as well and rights down summaries of what she reads and likes, so she really is learning a lot. And, last but not least, the way she prays. That's what I want to focus on right now, because it humbles me and teaches me a lesson, and I'm sure you can all learn from it too.
The first time she prayed to end the first lesson, we explained to her how a prayer is really just talking to our Heavenly Father as if it were face to face. There is no memorization, there is no repetition needed, nothing. We begin directing ourselves to him, give thanks and ask for things in general, but it's basically just a chat with our Heavenly Father, and we end in the name of Jesus Christ. Well, how many times have we taught that prayer is that way? I've taught it a lot, but I guess I'd never really taken it to heart. I'd like to think I pray good, and that I put thought into it... But when she prayed that first time, you KNEW she was talking to God. The sincerity of it, the words of familiarity she used, the feeling that she put into it, was undescribable. But it really humbled me a lot.
Now I'm focusing a lot more on the way I pray and how sincere I am and all of that, and I hope you all do the same. God really is our Father, and just like a good dad, he's there to listen and give advice always.
Anyway, running out of time this week, but we also put a sure baptismal date for this Saturday with Don Noé and his wife and two daughters. He invited a really good friend that could only come this Saturday, or he would've gotten baptized last Saturday with his wife. But it's all good, now they're both good to go! And the daughters. Woo!
Pictures next week of that. Love you all, bye!
Elder DeFreese

Fotos!




1. Elder Mata and I in the house of a convert.
2. Elder Mata and I walking down the street by the church in the fog. Oooooh, spooky!
3. This is our ''comp. inventory''. (ask Jason or Sean or Andrew, or me in an email or something^^)
4. Looks like I win this inventory... Heh heh heh

No comments:

Post a Comment