Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Brrrr...Conference!‏

October 3, 2011

Alright, Conference was awesome, I'm just commenting on the fact that it has been sunny for the past couple weeks up until conference, now it's back to rainy cold Teziutlan, but I love it!
So anyway...
This week was pretty awesome, we taught a lot of people, and although we didn't find too many new people, the ones we have are progressing well. And of course there's CONFERENCE! Which I loved. We went and watched it in the stake center here in Teziutlan through sattelite. The English missionaries saw it in English in a seperate room, because although we understand, it's just sooo much more spiritual for us to hear Elder Eyring for his example, bear testimony with all the emotion he always shows, than it is to hear a translator do so.
The other Spanish speaking Elders were in the sacrament hall with the investigators. Speaking of which, kind of sad, but only one of ours came. Again, many said they would, but a lot weren't able to come because they have sick kids/babies and it was raining both days of conference. Just one of those trials of faith I guess, but my companion and I were a little bummed. Until conference started that is! There were sooo many uplifting talks and fantastic messages, I loved it. I don't think I've ever gotten so much out of conference in my love, but I absolutely loved every single session. It's also funny to be around others that are also as enthusiastic. For example, when Elder Uchtdorf announces that Elder Holland or Elder Eyring will speak, there's an echo of 'yes!' and a bunch of fist pumps going around. Haha it's pretty funny.
So anyway, I just really really loved the messages this conference. There are so many things I can take from it, and the theme that most hit home with me was charity. How many of us can really say we have it? We do good things regularly, sure, but do we do it because we love the people we're doing these things for, or just because it's what we do? I realized that I've kind of gotten into the habit of going through the motions as far as service and things go, rather than truly feeling for and loving the people. Also, sometimes my companion and I get in the rut of making fun of certain things people do, or when people reject us we judge them, and I've been really trying lately to stop doing so. The messages on charity have helped me though.
Especially the talk by Elder... Um, the Japanese guy, I have it written  down in my notes, which I don't have^^ But anyway, when he was talking about the great importance of loving the people rather than just teaching them the necesities and checking it off the list, I really thought about it a lot. Sometimes I teach in a way that is the checking off type. That's not right! As said another speaker that I liked, we have to teach AFTER the manner of the spirit. We have to pause, think about what the investigator says, and then follow the promptings of the spirit. That's what we'll do when we actually love the people, I've realized.
You can't follow the spirit without charity. And you can't have charity without the spirit. So, I've figured out that what I need to do is ask God for help in gaining a greater love for the people as I try to live in a manner that the spirit really can be with me. I can 'politely ask for the company of the spirit' (as the speaker more or less said), and then plow on, or I can really plead for the spirit and LISTEN for the promptings. Then, as President Monson pointed out, it's SO important that we follow the promptings, as the word indicates, promptly! That means fast! Let's go! As we tell our investigators when we invite them to baptism and they sometimes tell us it's all too fast, Jesus doesn't invite us to follow Him a week from now, or two or three, or a month, he invites us NOW. Drop everything and follow Him. It's the same with the Spirit. If we feel like we should do something, let's do it. What's to lose? A little pride? That's fine, I could use to lose a little before I die and have to answer for everything I do in this life.
My point is, in short... Conference really helped me. I hope you all take the time to ponder about what you learned, and then act on it. Let's not just be hearers of the word, but doers! Yeah! Can you tell I'm pumped!? Haha, well I am^^
Really though, especially when they all bore testimony of our savior, my testimony was so strengthened. I know Jesus Christ lives. I know that he truly cares about us and has his hand outstretched to help us in every oportunity. I know his work is being proclaimed throughout the entire world. I have friends in Korea, Germany, Russia, Monterrey, and more places. I know that the work is being spread by our Savior, for our Savior. I'm so grateful for the opportunity to be a part of it.
I love you guys so much, and I can't wait to hear back from you all!
Elder DeFreese







Pictures:
1. Yeah, I got transferred to Ireland, did I not mention? Oh wait, nope, this is just Teziutlan. =P
2. This is the family from the blue house I've talked about, they should be baptized this or next week. The little girl is Dani, and she loves her rocking chair^^ The adult is Gisela, the mom and a very strong investigator.
3. This picture I love. I decided to take a picture of us watching conference (I only got three of the five of us), and the camera is right below the tv. I wasn't planning on us smiling for the timed picture, but it went off RIGHT when Pres. Monson got up in the Saturday morning session and said simply, ''hello...'' and looked around. It was hilarious for those who saw it^^
4. This morning I went on the roof to see if there was enough sun to dry our clothes today, you be the judge^^
5. Brr.

p.s. Elder Lyons and I are excited to be together for another transfer, by the way! Teziutlan all the way! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment