Monday, January 14, 2013

The Weekly Semana

November 26, 2012
Dear family and friends,

Well this week has been cool and such! 
Starting with last monday after writing I don't even remember what we did... Hmm... I think we were running to get started with the work-day right at 6, but anyway, we were able to find a few people to teach there and talk with a few people that were getting ready for their baptisms, such as Angel, Bryan and Max. 
I don't remember if I mentioned them yet, but their a few little jovencitos that we're working with right now of the ages of 12, 10, and 8. We've also been working with their inactive moms (in both cases the moms beeing single mothers) to activate them and the others in their families that have become less active as well. I will get to the good part soon, but honestly I must say that it is a very satisfying thing to be able to help inactive members come back to the gospel and to help their family members take the step of baptism at the same time. It's really a good feeling and the parents are always very supportive.
Anyway though, from there I think I forgot to mention the crazy phone call that we got last Monday. As you all should know, Today is the last day of this transfer (another bites the dust!), but last monday we got a call from the assistants. My companion answered and I only heard his side of the conversation, which went something like this...
''When will they be leaving?''
...
''Tomorrow!? ...Okay... And who's coming in their place?''
...
''...Until when?''
And that's about where the conversation ended. Yep, the sisters that were in Altotonga (remember? That was my area for two whole days! =P) had to be changed in some pretty weird transfers! They went to Papantla (about 5 or 6 hours away), and now the area went back to the way it was when I was in San Juan Xiutetelco, and the elders there will be covering both wards again. We don't know when they'll be sending missionaries again, but we hope that it'll be soon enough.
Anyway from there on Tuesday we had our district class which was weird being just with Elder Villegas, Elder Beckert, my comp. and I. 
'Twas good though.
From there, let's see... Well, a couple Elders in the zone without saying names were having some companionship problems, so we did special splits with them on Friday, and kept searching out new people to teach and stuff. There are a LOT of inactive members here. It's a little crazy, but it's all good. 
What else, what else... I can never remember stuff when I'm writing! Haha
From there though we just got ready for the baptisms on Sunday, which went really well! We got everything ready and it was all a great experience with a few investigators there in the baptism as well. Yola has gotten a little discouraged by her parents but she says she knows it's the right thing to do, she just wants more time to get more knowlege before baptism. We've taught her that baptism is the door by which we enter into the way (2 Nefi 31:17 I believe), and that ''faith is not a perfect knowlege of things'' (paraphrasing Alma 32:21 here, pardon my lack of english scripture skill), but she just says she wants to learn more, so I guess we'll see when she decides that she's ready to go.
Anyway, I guess that's all for now!
Oh yeah, Thanksgiving... It was interesting. Haha we ate at a stand in the market place where one of my converts works. Ironically, she works with someone I used to teach about a year ago who is now a recent convert. We ate empanadas, chayoteste capeado (ask Adam, we'll see if he knows), it's like a... Fried potato. More or less. It's good though. And a few other things. It was good, but I felt bad if we ate a lot, seeing as how the food there was for customers as well, so I didn't fill myself to the Thanksgiving limit, but it was good anyway.
And I guess that's really all for now. I love you all, things are good! Keep up the good work all of you!
I want a picture of Breanne pregnant! And more pictures of the family please, if you can send some!
Love,
Elder DeFreese

Pictures!




1. Me making a tortilla for some delicious empanadas. Mmmm
2. Pretending to have done a great job at making this sauce with what's called a molcajete. I think I'll buy one here to make salsa up there!
3. With the Román family together with Sister Rosa, the recently activated mother of Bryan and Max, as well in the picture.
4. The baptism of Angel, Bryan, and Max. =D

No comments:

Post a Comment